Thursday 12 April 2012

Caring for Brushes


Mountain Lion   Bill Doroshuk coloured pencil

We have some FINE painters down here at Headwaters Art Society and I am going to introduce them to you.

"I also want to share some tips about the brushes I'm using which are Silver Bristlons with very crisp synthetic bristles that are excellent for the type of careful brushwork I like to do. After rinsing them of paint in Gamsol and wiping them dry, I wash them with Murphy's Oil Soap. Using a ceramic or glass bowl I mash the bristles gently against the bowl which has a capful of MOS in it. You will be shocked at how long it takes to rinse the brushes completely of paint. Use only cold or tepid water and keep changing the soap and rinsing until the brushes are completely free of stain when blotted with a paper towel. I then dip them into brush shaper (by Houston Arts) and shape them so the edges are chiseled. If some of them need it, I make a little splint out of paper and wrap the tips lightly and tape them. Voila! They last quite well with the pampering I give them."
 
From the website of Mary Sheehan Winn :  http://marysheehanwinn.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment