Thursday 5 April 2012

Nearly Done

 Handlebar   16x16 acrylic collage

I added purple paint to the shirt to enrich the texture and because I thought I needed the color. I softened the color areas around his hair so that it was a little less blocky. I painted the sky light purple but it looked too depressing so I made a lighter blue/purple mix to try to show how sunny it was (as indicated by the shadows). I decided that mountains AND trees were too much in the background so I deleted the mountains.

I'm fairly happy with this but I will let it sit for a bit and then try really hard to look at it as a painting and see what could be done to make it better as a painting. There is always a point were I have to forget about the photograph and look at it compositionally and design-wise. I like that I have about 60% in midtones, 25% in darks and 15% in lights. That is a nice ratio of values for a painting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,

    Thanks again for a terrific and fun workshop. I love the way he is turning out! Soooo much better than the one I started after the workshop.

    ReplyDelete